Brian,

I think we need to reverse the thought process here and ask from another
direction. How much can you truly afford to invest *right now* for a
quality NAS. Forget cost vs. quality for the time, or what OS the NAS will
run, or even how large it will be. You need a number first, then you can
start matching that number to quality. Because there are as many ways to
accomplish what you want to do as you can imagine.

Dan Penoff has already mentioned that he has an Xserve RAID system. Can you
rack mount? Do you care if it's 18 inches wide and 28 inches deep? It will
definitely read HFS+ formatted volumes. Maybe a new Mac Mini with
Thunderbolt, and all new Thunderbolt external drives. It, too, will read
HFS+

But, is HFS+ a deal killer? I mean, once you've built or bought the NAS,
you aren't going to be removing drives from it often, especially if you use
a RAID option. The drives won't allow it. So you need to accept that once a
drive goes into the NAS it is "lost" to you for other purposes. You will
attach it and utilize it via network.

So, do you have infrastructure for GigE? Have a heavyweight switch? As
someone else said, do *NOT* put your NAS into a WiFi setup. Trust me, you
will not be happy with that.

Do you want an off the shelf solution (Drobo) or are you willing to build
and maintain your own system (FreeNAS / Linux and Intel)

Again, it all comes back to what *can* you spend. Because when everything
is said and done do not look at this as "How cheap can I do this" you
*must* look at this as "Have I used every single last possible dollar I
have in my account at this time devoted to this purpose yet?" Buy more,
more, more this first time so that it lasts you until neural nets become
the rage in 15 years. If you cobble together a $300 solution today that
lasts your needs for a year and half, then another $300 solution, then
another, and another. Well, you'll still only have a solution that lasts
your short term and will have spent overall what you could have done
upfront and gotten what you need for a very long term solution.

Again, I go back to the XServe RAID. What better NAS is there for a Macbook
but an OSX solution? If you had several Windows machines and maybe some
SPARC gear lying around, then something else would be a better fit, but OSX
Server for an OSX Client meshes by design. So keep that in mind too.

I feel like I went in a very large circle, sorry if it hasn't helped at all,

EdB

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Brian Toscano <brian.tosc...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thank for the link.  What's the cheapest I can put together a small, quiet,
> and energy efficient box to run it on ?
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Tim C <bb...@crone.us> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Brian Toscano <brian.tosc...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Unless it was a Linux based appliance that cost less than the NAS.
> >
> > Literally yesterday:
> >

> http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/01/how-to-set-up-a-home-file-server-using-freenas/
> >
> > Best,
> > -Tim
> > has not tried it
> >
> > > On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Brian Toscano <
> brian.tosc...@gmail.com

> and
> > NAS
> can't

> > brian.tosc...@gmail.com>

> natively
> my

> > and

"Das beste oder nichts." - *Gottlieb Daimler*