> .....With the modern tech in cars being totally connected everything,
> data
> bus for connectivity, etc - it seems there could be use for
> broadcasting codes for repair purposes.  I have no idea how that might
> be useful, but similar to onstar the malfunction could be seen prior
> to arrival at shop, for whatever reason.  The stupid tech already
> broadcasts where the car is located, why not broadcast data regarding
> operations and potential system failure issues?  Again, for what
> useful benefit, I don't know, but it seems that the broadcast could
> include data nobody needs... just because...  Not unlike most of the
> other 'tech' in modern cars.  Why do I need to punish a data bus with
> road grime, rattle, heat, etc?  It all seems superfluous - I drive a
> 1984 240D with 3 pedals and crank windows.  I dunno...
> mao..

I was into the third read of this but then my brain started to melt...

Why "stupid tech", might I ask? The tech does not broadcast anything, any
time. And codes are pulled in the shop, anyway. A car cannot be located
unless it has Teleaid, now called MBrace, and when this is done it's by the
provider of the service which happens to be in Texas. It's true that trouble
codes can be checked but that's only done if the car is broken down someplace
with the owner inside, calling on the built-in one number digital cell phone.

MBrace is a very expensive option with an annual fee in the $275 range. My
car does not have it.

RLE