Walt Zarnoch wrote:
If GM did it right, a carbon fibre Vette with a proper polish and uv
protectant clearcoat would likely sell quite well. Witness the naked
stainless steel on the DMC-12.

I like my Look KG86 bicycle, but in that case it's totally functional. The most weight efficient way to make it was to make the carbon tubing with UV resistant epoxy and save the weight of paint. It also meant any flaw in the carbon layup would be visible, so they better get it right.

But when you use visible carbon in a non-structural application, like replacing the wood interior accents, you're just saying 'this isn't a race car, but I wish it was'.

Mitch.