Kaleb, et al.
FWIW.
I've had poor luck getting an external USB 2.0 HDD to even see the files, especially laptop drives, not to mention first message is "Format, Please", even though the drive works fine in the laptop/PC itself.
Putting the drive inside a PC as slave works for me.
Of course, I am NOT brilliant.

Fred Moir
Lynn MA
Diesel preferred