David Brodbeck wrote:
>  Eventually we did troubleshooting with a pressure gauge
> and found his original problem was a stuck warm-up regulator -- he
> should have never touched the mixture screw at all.

My best friend's first car was a 1978 Rabbit. About fifteen years ago
it started running rich. I put the gauge on it, control pressure
equaled system pressure. Screws were so rusted I couldn't even
take the warm-up regulator apart to try to free it up. I gave him
a 3mm x 9" T-handle hex wrench and he was able to keep driving it
for another year by adjusting the mixture to the weather. Then he
bought a Grand Am and sold the bunny to a broke college student.