This came my way from an old classmate.  I found it fascinating.

>From an ex-American Airlines Captain ...

This is a great illustration of what we were taught about scanning outside
the cockpit when I went through training back in the '50s. We were told to
scan the horizon for a short distance, stop momentarily, and repeat the
process. I can remember being told why this was the most effective technique
to locate other aircraft. It was emphasized repeatedly to not fix your gaze
for more than a couple of seconds on any single object. The instructors,
some of whom were WWII veterans with years of experience, instructed us to
continually "keep our eyes moving and our head on a swivel" because this was
the best way to survive, not only in combat, but from peacetime hazards
(like a midair collision) as well.

We basically had to take the advice on faith (until we could experience for
ourselves) because the technology to demonstrate it didn't exist at that
time. Click on the link below for a demonstration ...

 <http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html>

 http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html