-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rich Thomas
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:24 AM
To: Mercedes mailing list
Subject: [MBZ] transmission rebuilding

So how hard is it to rebuild these things?  I am thinking that it would
be easy to go gather a bunch up at various junkyards or Okie homesteads,

ship a container load to China or India or Mexico or CA (nothing special

about German rebuilders -- they probably use the immigrant Turks and
Arabs there anyway, cheap labor) with the proper tools and bits, train
some cheap labor there to rebuild them, then sell them for less than
this. Or say a new rebuild is $2k, it takes an old one, couple hundred
dollars in parts, and some tools, you are looking at maybe $1500 margin
on that.  That is $30/hr for 50 hrs, not a bad wage for working
part-time in your garage, I can't imagine it even takes that long once
you figure out how to do it.  If you are paying a couple dollars an hour

(if that much) plus shipping, etc. you could still come out way ahead.

Seriously, what am I missing?

--R