oh yes. I think the Arctic Circle is mile 115 on  the Dalton Hwy...it starts in
Fairbanks and goes about 440 miles to  Deadhorse...you are abour 300 miles
NORTH of the arctic circle - you  stand on the shore of the Arctic Ocean. Some
people take off their  shoes and stand in it. One guy said it was about 50 F
(result of 24  hours of sunlight for two months straight) - another was there
in  summer - it was right about freezing and the ocean was ice and slush -  I
would still stand in about 1 foot deep for a picture...although if  you
slipped, you might die - hypothermia happens FAST...so does  frostbite - had it
once - VERY painful.

  Chris

Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Would this put us above the arctic
circle??

On 12/6/05, Christopher McCann  wrote:

> A few years ago, my dad's cousin and her husband  drove the Dalton Highway
> to Deadhorse, Alaska...some 4,000+ miles from  Kansas City in a camper. You
> can drive within 3 miles of the Arctic  Ocean and from there a bus takes you
> to the Ocean...Prudhoe Bay to be  exact. Usually about freezing even in the
> summer. The Dalton Highway is  mostly gravel, hard on cars (particularly
> windshields and headlights),  etc. Tons of articles on line and picture
> galleries.
>
> A sample: http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/byway/ak_dalton.htm
>
> Anyone interested in an "Arctic-Q"? Not really able to do this any
> time  soon - maybe this coming summer...or the following summer...but I
> have  been thinking about it and thought I would throw it out for
> thoughts,  reactions, ideas, etc. Could be very interesting as a
> multi-car  caravan...we could carry lots of tools and spare parts between
> several  vehicles in addition to all the other stuff - spare tires, food,
> water,  clothes for the arctic blasts that can come at any time, etc.
>
> Chris
>

> Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
> -2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
> -1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
> -1985 300SD, 210K, "Wulf"
> -1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
> -1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
> -1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"

OK Richard 1987 300D 178k with miles and miles to go!!!
Midwest City, Oklahoma

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 210K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"

 Yahoo! Personals