On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 16:47:19 -0500 Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu>
wrote:

> Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Yes, I am only talking about stuff in the documents folder.  Music and
> > photos I will just move manually.  nothing new there.  Is rsync a
> > built in utility?  I did a search but did not find it.
>
> rsync is a command-line utility.  You would run it from the Terminal.
> It has a laundry list of options.  You might want the -u (update
> option):
>
>     -u, --update
>           This forces rsync to skip any files which exist on the
> destination  and  have  a  modified  time that is newer than the
> source file.  (If an existing destination file has a modification time
>           equal to the source file's, it will be updated if the sizes
> are different.)
>
> Maybe as simple as:
>
>   rsync -u /time/machine/source /your/target/dir
>
> ...but wise to experiment with a copy first.

rsync -auLKnv    # To run without actually doing the work ("n") and
                  # see what will actually be done ("v").

rsync -auLK      # To do the work.

-a, --archive               archive mode; equals -rlptgoD (no -H,-A,-X)
-u, --update                skip files that are newer on the receiver
-L, --copy-links            transform symlink into referent file/dir
-K, --keep-dirlinks         treat symlinked dir on receiver as dir
-n, --dry-run               perform a trial run with no changes made
-v, --verbose               increase verbosity

But check the Mac man page, first, to make sure the options are the same.

> ...but wise to experiment with a copy first.

Good idea.

> Get a cup of coffee and run "man rsync" in a Terminal window.  You can
> pretty much ignore everything having to do with remote copies since both
> your source and destination are local.

Read the man page!

Craig