Silicone sealant in places where it should not be used is a sign of a very poor mechanic. My buddy the MB guy rejected a rebuilt 420 once, had orange silicone all over. He refused to install it, said it was an absolute certainty that nothing was right with it. Cost $4500, too.

There is no need to use ANY sealant on that gasket. It's probably like the one for my brother's 75 300D -- comes from the factory with adhesive on both sides protected by silicone release paper. Peel, stick, and tighten, that's all, but some genius decided half a tube of RTV was necessary instead. Of course, it all squeezed out into the oil line, and piled up on the feed orifice and starved the turbo of oil, so it failed in short order.

There are only a few places on any MB engine that I know of that use RTV -- upper pan on some models (not the 603, it has a gasket), upper chain case cover on the M103, occasional covers for things. Almost always black RTV in a very small (1/8" or less bead) amount on machined surfaces, never on gaskets of any kind. Only other sealant used is permatex paint-on stuff for thermostat housings on older engines. Newer ones have o-ring seals, no sealant required.

Peter

On Mar 19, 2012, at 9:55 PM, Scott Ritchey wrote:

Marshall always said not to use that stuff.  Guess he was right again.
Thanx for pics.

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes- boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Dieselhead
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 11:35 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 603 turbo WAS:smokin SDL

More followup:

The photo shows how obstructed the oil passage was with red RTV gunk.
still a lot of RTV on the turbo after I pulled a massive amount off.
What I pulled off can be seen in the background of the photo with the
turbo.  The other photo is a closup of the rtv I pulled off.

I know there is intelligent life in Arkieland, but there sure are
some stupid ones too.  (Car was from Arkieland)