Rich take it to the shop when you go press the new BJ's in and use the Press
to compress the spring enough to release the plates.

On 3/31/2012 10:55 AM, Rich Thomas wrote:
I am rebuilding the front end of mama's 300SD. Bought this spring compressor that Max found, eng.jtc.com.tw/products/index.php?mode=data&id=355&top=0 it seems like a good stout unit, not a lot different from the one I rented from Rusty last time I did the job on the 123.

Rotated the plates around to get a good grip at top and bottom of spring (first attempt I needed to get more coils in the tool), got the spring out no problem other than fiddling a bit to get the teeth set in the plate pockets. Went to uncompress the spring, got the compressor all the way extended and there was still compression on the spring so I can't get it out, maybe only a half inch or so. I try to turn it back to tighten it to put it back in the car to compress it a bit and hold it compressed, to rotate the plates some to get some slack (they are interlocked top and bottom now with the teeth on both ends locked in the pockets on the plates, so the whole thing rotates), and I run into this "feature" :

Advantage :Newly developed automatic 3-point safety interlock and ***automatic freewheel
   at end of stroke.***

Which means the screw will not engage the bottom part now, and I cannot recompress it to put it back in the car. SH*T!!!

So I am pondering how to get it compressed enough to rotate the plates around a bit to get the thing out. I am thinking to stick it under the car frame and then drop the whole car down enough to compress it a bit (I think I only need a 1/4 or 1/2" or so but I am also thinking that is dangerous as hell and really do not want to mess up my day. Or maybe use the floor jack (which has a round pocket on the lift arm) to put it under the car and push it up a tad. Or if I should go to oreilly's and borrow one of their cheapo compressors, use that just enough to get some slack on the system. There is probably not a whole lot of compression on it at this point, maybe a coupla hundred pounds if that, but still enough to make a problem if it decides to go for a walk. Or maybe if they have a press we can push it enough to release a plate so I can rotate it out and re-engage the screw.

Ideas? I was hoping to get this job done this weekend, mostly (gotta go to a shop to get BJs pressed) but not if I am running all over creation to deal with this stupid thing.

--R

-----
No virus found in this message.