Not quite true.
Sales tax is paid to the State thru the Local Sheriff Dept who is the tax collector
for the state and Parish.
If you buy a vech. in Miss or Ark and paid taxes there you only pay the difference
in taxes if your local taxes is more.
If you buy a vech in Texas and tell them you are going to Reg it in another state
They will let you skip paying the sales tax. I've done this twice.
You can go to the DMV and get a La Temp tag if you are going to buy a car out of state. Only need the VIN and Sellers Name and Proof of Ins card. But there is a caveat to doing that. It's good for 30 days only. Normally Temp tags from a dealer is good for 90 days. When you move to La you have 30 days to Reg your vechs and obtain an La Drivers License. You pay taxes according the Blue Book value. Reg fee is 75 bucks tag fee vary depending on
how old the vech is. The fee for my 84 300D is 20 bucks for 2 years.

Russ W.