Unless the joint is completely and utterly shot, moving the shaft with your
hands may not tell you the whole story because you can't get enough leverage.
You should apply enough force that you are actually causing the wheels to
twitch a bit. Have someone move the steering wheel (engine off, obviously) and
observe; at that point you should NOT see movement in the coupling.

On the contrary, there should always be some play in the box. If it is too
tight, you can get into a situation where it will fight you in an emergency
manouevre (eg when you are moving the wheel rapidly) practically locking the
steering off-centre. I know this from a 123 I had where the PO overtightened
the box. The locking up is very disconcerting when it happens unexpectedly.

The proper torque-based adjustment of the box can be achieved with normal tools
(you'll need an old-fashioned, sensitive analogue torque wrench). The service
procedure is fairly straightforward.

D.