> Brian Toscano wrote:

> I have never heard of a turbo-supercharger except here.

>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger

When power comes from an exhaust gas turbine a supercharger is
known as a turbosupercharger - typically referred to simply
as a turbocharger or just turbo.

No, I did not just edit it. *grin*

> Superchargers are driven by the flywheel.

Usually it's not at the flywheel, but yes, they are drive by
the crankshaft.  Accessory belt on the front is the most
common, though there are some chain or gear-driven ones.

> Turbos are driven by the exhaust.

Correct.

Looking at the word itself, "supercharger" means a super
charge of air going into the engine.  Technically this could
be from ram air as well as a mechanical device.  The turbo is
an turbine in the exhaust that drives the supercharging
centrifugal compressor.

To be fair, in the wikipedia article, the very next sentence
is "Common usage restricts the term supercharger to
mechanically driven units."

--  Philip