You really don't need a dial indicator to set wheel bearing end play.  If
you mount the wheel/tire and rap the tire with your first as you turn and
tighten you can hear a change in the sound when the endplay is correct.  If
you put a dial indicator on it after you do it that way, you should find
end play to be spot-on.