> ..The 1984 Corvette was an underpowered turd. That was the first and last
> year for "crossfire injection" a dual throttle body injection system. '85
> and up are MUCH better cars. Also, it was the first year of production for
> the C4(?) after a year hiatus of production and GM was not particularly
> kind to the first production run of ANY car...

I thought that might be the one. GM built a lot of mediocre Corvettes which
they are still living down. Even today's models still draw complaints about
their low rent interiors, not commensurate with the price.

My Sting Ray, being the first year, had shortcomings. Little Chevy 2 drum
brakes which heated up and faded away after a lap or two at the track. Also,
there was a relief valve on the oil pump that would open and oil pressure
would disappear so you'd have to stop and let the engine cool a bit. Also, the
427s (porcupine heads, was it?) that broke rocker arms regularly.

My Stingray on Michelin SDS tires was a hell of an autocross car, at the
time. And the cowl shake was VERY noticeable so I kept the hardtop on most of
the time to tie the front and rear ends together. After two years I gave up
and went back to Porsche, namely a 356SC Coupe.

RLE