Jim Cathey wrote:
> The CB in the Unimog worked, even floored on the highway with me
> wearing shooting muffs.  It was mounted over my head, though.

Yeah, CBs are at least designed for in-vehicle use.

> That's a real problem with CB too unless you're using a real antenna.
> Only the rooftop magnetic mount antennae I've tried haven't given me
> a noticeable problem with this when caravanning.  (I've never used an
> even better hard-mount whip antenna.)

Antennas are a problem for CB, because the frequency is relatively low.
 Any antenna of a reasonable length for mobile use ends up being very
inefficient.  Almost no one can run a full quarter-wave whip, so
everyone ends up using antennas with loading coils.

This is why hams generally use the VHF bands for car-to-car
communications.  A quarter-wave whip for the popular 2 meter band is
only about a foot long.  A 5/8-wave whip (which gives around 3 dB gain,
by not radiating anything straight up or straight down) is a little over
four feet.  Very managable.

>From a modern perspective, the frequency allocation for CB makes no
sense.  Give people the 11 meter band, a shortwave band, and then tell
them not to make long-distance contacts?  Ridiculous.  The problem was,
back when CB was created, VHF radios were expensive to build.