About a month ago I was in town and rolled the windows down.  I smelled
antifreeze and someone pulled up next to me and said you're leaking
coolant.  My coolant jug was overflowing, but my dash gauge was spot on.  I
got it to a nearby Wal Mart where I could buy supplies and rent a car
nearby.

I rented a car and drove back home to get tools.  The top of the radiator
had a lot of crap in it, but when I removed the thermostat, everything
looked fine.  I changed the thermostat, refilled, and drove home.  I
flushed the cooling system repeatedly to get rid of any crap that had come
loose.

Now what happens is that my coolant expansion tank gets dirty coolant in
it, but when I remove the radiator cap, I see green coolant.  The expansion
tank is at regular atmospheric pressure and connects to the radiator right
by the tank.

I would expect ALL the coolant to look the same color.  That's not what's
happening.

The hose between the radiator and expansion tank has been changed and the
expansion tank is clean.

I don't think it is something to be concerned about, as it doesn't affect
the operability of the vehicle, but I don't understand why the coolant
seems to separate.  I am wondering if the dirtier coolant is somehow
"lighter" or "less dense" and somehow floats to the top and expands out to
the expansion tank, whereas the green coolant stays in the system....

Any thoughts?