Most likely your heater core is copper, or possibly aluminum.

I had a similar situation on a W126 (300SD) I once owned.

When I bought it the owner had just put a radiator on it within the =
year.  When I inspected the coolant it was brown and rusty colored.  =
Figuring that it just needed a good flush and a return to MB coolant, I =
removed it, flushed it and the cooling system, and installed the correct =
coolant. I would add that I also replaced hoses, as the hoses had a =
nasty accumulation of brown discoloration in them that I can only =
suspect was rust.

Within a matter of weeks I started having problems with the temperatures =
rising if the car was moving more than about 40-50 mph.  As soon as I =
crossed that threshold, the temperature would climb a good 10-15 degrees =
above the proper 82F or thereabouts.

Anyway, I removed the radiator and took it to a trusted shop.  The core =
was plugged in the very center but what they said was rust.  Where it =
came from, I have no idea.  When I flushed and refilled the system the =
coolant remained the proper honey color that MB coolant is.

Apparently the core was already clogged, but since I bought the car in =
the winter (relatively speaking) the problem didn't manifest itself =
until the ambient temps got up relatively high.  I can only suspect that =
they were running straight water in the system, and it caused the block =
to rust, as it's the only part in the system that could do so.

Point being, flush the system for sure.  Whether or not you'll continue =
to see the rust/crud in the system is questionable. I doubt it's your =
heater core.

Dan