Gerry wrote:

....Tire Rack and similar websites seem to have the best prices, but
around
here at least, the dealers charge higher prices for mounting the
mailorder
tires such that little or nothing is saved by ordering them...

What? You expect them to mount tires you bought elsewhere for free?

All right, pay attention.

Since Tire Rack is now the biggest tire dealer in the country, they are
controlling the prices. So here's what I have done several times.

Knowing exactly what tires I want, I go into Discount Tire (a big chain out
my way) and I tell them that I want to order a set of those tires but want
to pay Tire Rack prices. No problem, says the counter man as he is going to
Tire Rack's website to check the price. So he says, we will honor that price
but we will add the freight they would have charged you from their
warehouse which for me is in Reno. I agree and the tires are ordered if not in
stock. Since mounting is always included in local tire purchases, I pay for
balancing only. Plus, I get lifetime flat repairs and balancing. And, local
warranty replacement later if needed with no charges for
mount/dismount/rebalance.

The only thing I have to do first is get a commitment from the store
manager that they absolutely can mount tires on my wheels without ANY damage. The
answer is always yes so when the screw one up I've got 'em. My car has very
fragile and expensive wheels which are still in brand new condition so I
have to choose a shop very carefully and would never dream of attempting any of
this myself.

I am about to replace the tires on my C300 (1st time) so will go through
this little exercise very soon.

RLE
Clever!
Thanks,