Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 17:49:37 -0400
From: Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] OT Voiding the Warranty

I have this pretty nice gas grill I got from Lowes a few years back, 4
burners.  I think a JennAir brand (they have some now quite similar
under some other brand).  Anyway, I have always thought the heat output
to be somewhat anemic.  Hard to grill a steak properly,  but OK for fish
and veggies and such.  So the other night I was cooking some chicken and
the thing just would not get hot, just a bit of flame from the burners.
I figured some bugs got in the works somewhere, so today I decided to
clean everything out, which I did.  Then I decided to see what I could
do to get a bit more output on a couple of the burners.   Took out the
orifices and inspected them, they did not appear to be clogged or
anything but I did run some wire through them to make sure.  So then I
decided to increase the orifice size on 2 of the burners.  Found a tiny
drill bit just a bit larger than the orifice holes and reamed them out.
Putting all back together, them suckers is now in full nukuler mode!  I
am getting some serious fire out of them, nice and hot, just perfect for
searing steaks!  They still throttle down to about med-high compared to
the other 2 I left stock, so should be fine for general use.

Interestingly there was green fire coming out of those 2 improved
burners in a couple of spots.  Might have been some shavings bits from
the brass orifices burning off?  When I cleaned out the burners they had
quite a bit of some kind of white powdery stuff in them, I was thinking
it might be from whatever they used in the casting process?  Maybe that
was burning off green?

Kids, do not try this at home!  Homeland Security might show up!  The
EPA might show up!  The Consumer Product Safety Commission might take
interest!  The Food and Drug Administration will fine you for making
nasty stuff on grilled steaks!  I am sure there are at least six other
gummint agencies that would frown strongly upon this sort of thing -- it
could harm national security!

Anyway, have at it guys.

--R