Harry Watkins wrote:
To all

On the way back from buying it, my co-pilot drove the first 50 miles and I
followed to observe.  He was driving it like it was stolen but I never saw ANY
sign of smoke.  I drove it the last 300 miles and the temp gauge never got to
80.  To stay warm, I selected defrost and never got too hot like I have in
other MBs.  I also never saw smoke on FOT from a start.

Today I removed the thermostat, hoping it would be stuck open, but it wasn't.
I tested it on the stove and it begin to open well before bubbles begin to form
and was fully open before a boil.  I don't know if this is normal or not.

MPG = 23, is that about right?

Well IF the temp gauge is accurate, the thermostat isn't working quite as it should. If the gauge (and sensor) aren't working correctly, then what you've seen is PROBABLY normal. There should be NO smoke except when the engine speed is above 4000 rpm and the engine is FULLY LOADED (like when it's accelerating with the pedal to the floor).

The thermostat should START to open at 80 deg. C and should be fully open at 94, well below boiling (at sea level). What you've described doesn't mean that the old one wasn't jamming open when installed. Did the NEW thermostat change the engine temperature? Thermostats are considered expendables - to be replaced any time there is ANY question.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi