Oh, also I forgot the most obvious and probably the actual problem (silly me!). Replace the fuel lines between the steel pipe and the suction side of the lift pump (on the side of the IP). These die of old age, and leak under the fabric cover. You don't have the screw it down to seal type hand pump, so that won't be a problem, but either being bad allows air to get sucked in instead of fuel sucked up from the tank, and air in the IP prevents starting.

I would also blow some compressed air VERY GENTLY down the line to make sure the tank screen isn't plugged. Expect a clogged screen, bad hoses, and algae clogging filters for awhile, this is very typical of a diesel that age.

Peter