The problem with the typical temperature sensor is that when it is in free air,
it doesn't work. It had to be in contact with the liquid to be measured. Case
in point:

When I was at Kohler we started using Ford industrial engines on our small
(<100kW) gas units. Unfortunately, some of the units like to develop cooling
system leaks during operation, which would cause the system to drain down far
enough that the engine would overheat and seize up. Not good.

These had high water temperature senders that would shut the unit down if it
overheated, which in this situation, did not happen.

The engines would come back to us visibly failed farm overheating, so bad that
paint would be burned off the sides in some instances.

Long story short, when we discovered the leaking cooling systems, we ended up
putting a float switch in the top tank of the radiator, which would also shut
down the engine.

Our overheating failures dropped significantly after doing this.

There are now electronic senders that work off of temperature differentials
that provide the same signal. If someone was enterprising enough, they could
install one if these in their radiator and use it to light a light.

Dan