-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of redghost
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:18 AM
To: Mercedes list
Subject: [MBZ] Tired of Argueing

The Queen of Denial has finally gone beyond my ability to deal with.
Well, she is fine, she just should have Cleo taken from her.

Been complaining to me about odd dummy lights and strange things.  Ran
around finding which light could be out, and I think I finally got it.
Replace ALL the damn lights so that I dealt with intermittent issues.

Then she decides there must be a bulb out in the dash.  Idiot light for
the glow is not being right.

Me - "Well, can you explain it better, please?"

QoD - "Uh, it sort of does not come on, then it does after I start."

Me - "Ok, then what?"

QoD - "The car does not run well."

Me - "I suspect it is a glow issue"

QoD - "The bulb is burning out, the car runs, so it can't be the glow
plug.  I think it is a fuse"

Me - "It is not a fuse. Marshall tells everyone to do fuses, but this
is a glow plug.  If one or more are out on a cold morning,  you car
will start, you know that right?"

QoD - "No, my glow plug starts the car, it just runs sort of lumpy.  I
know it must be a fuse to the dash lights"

Me - "I think I will read the 124 Bible and get back to you on this
dear, in the meantime call the dealer and schedule a visit, because
this is going to be more than I can deal with this weekend and I would
like their opinion.  Just explain it to them so they can ask you the
right questions"

  QoD - "Can you call them? I am really busy"

Me - "I have no idea what you have happen and you drive the car and
start from cold, I am not going to be able to tell them anything"

More discussion ensues over what it could be and who should handle the
service guy brain picking.  I decide to just check the book after
telling her it would be like thousands of $$$ because she has developed
a leak in the "framjimnaster" that a proper spec glow plug would
resolve.  Come up with preglow relay failure, GP #1 dead or two or more
GP failing in a 606 engine.

Tell her to schedule shop time because both of us are too busy to have
me work on the car this week or next.   I checked prices for parts from
Rusty and amount of knuckle busting and hand wringing I would expend.
Again advise she call the dealer.

Next day while she is driving to work, I get a call

Me - "So, when is the car going in?"

QoD - "I am too busy right now!  The lumping is getting worse.  The
light comes on AFTER I start now and stays on for a minute or
something!  I think it is the bulb that the fuse is connected to"

Me - "Just get the shop to check and fix it, they have the parts"

QoD - "Why can't you fix the bulb?  You finally made that other idiot
light go off"

Me - "That was a light, this is a glow plug"

QoD - "But this is a light too!  It is yellow like the other one"

Me - "Glow plugs are not lights, and I think from what I read it is the
relay as well as glow plugs, so while they are in there, they can fix
it.  You are going to want good glow plugs this winter when it gets
really cold"

QoD - OMG!  There is a blue idiot light on now!  What do I do?  What is
that?"

Me - "Move the turn stalk back and forth, that should fix it"

QoD - "Ok....  Wow, that did it.  What went wrong?"

Me - "I bet it was the fuse to the "Gurkenmeister", those will blow
when the glow plugs are not getting enough signal from the relay.  All
you have to do is jiggle the stalk and that will wear away some nano
particles and it works again.  You better get the car in the shop
before the Gurkenmeister really dies"

It devolves into who is going to call the shop.  The car is not going
until she kills it and it will no longer start on a cold morning,
having worn out the battery.

--
Clay
Seattle Bioburner