Gerry wrote: "With two good fishermen in the family who could catch snook off Davis Island bridge nearly any time they wanted to, we lived on fish, potatoes, and a few vegetables that first year in Tampa."

I'm offended you would speak so casually about catching members of my family! :) Just kidding. I always forget about the fish called "Snook". It is odd to hear people talking about catching big snook.
Donald H. Snook

ROFL! There are six Snook telephone numbers in this small county, but I don't recall ever meeting a person named Snook. A check of Google shows that the Snook clan came over from various European countries in the 18th century and established themselves heavily in the northeast and not as heavily in Kansas and adjoining states. Their most common profession was farming. One website claims the name originated as "snoc" and later became "snoke", an outcropping of land.
http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Snooks
Distribution of Snooks and other data:
http://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=snook
About the fish and the submarines called snook
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_snook
Origin and funny stuff about fish called snook:
http://www.languagehat.com/archives/002545.php

Gerry