From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of G Mann
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 7:21 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] engine search

What physical difference is there between the sedan short block [crank,
rods, pistons, block, cam chain drive/Injection pump drive] and the TD
short block ?

Other than the drive for leveling pump on the head aren't  the bottom end
of the engines the same?  Assuming the head from your thrown rod engine can
be returned to service, seems to me, using the short block [lower end] from
a sedan version would widen the field quite a lot to find a serviceable
engine.