24 years; '83 240D 180K near perfect condition.

I bit the bullet and put a factory short block in my 200D 39 years ago. Never had a worry about the engine. It is still good. I'd probably have opted for the factory short block again as a second choice to a junkyard engine or buying a rusty but trusty parts car. Even though the factory short block is way pricey.

I was way scared for many years because what I had in the 200D was way more than any ins co would have given me for it. But I bought a spare hood and grill and hung it up to keep Murphy away. That worked. Now the 200D is nearly irreplaceable due to scarcity.

I bought 2 240D OM616 engines. One from junkyard was perfect. One from individual was POS: dead #1.

Bought a car (240D) out of a junkyard...pig in a poke. That engine was also bad. 0 compression in #1

Gerry

Regarding my search for a used 617.952 engine for my '85 300TD, since
there are so many scammers out there on the I-net, I decided to play it
safe and go with Metric Motors in Canoga Park, CA.  After this episode
is
all said and done, my bank account will have undergone a serious dent.

G. M. Brown
Brevard, NC
_