Bought a pair of rebuilt front calipers from Rusty. Started to bleed them and none of my metric wrenches would fit the bleeder valve. Turned out it was SAE (NF) or NC. The rebuilder had apparently drilled out the old threads and rethreaded to fit the "American" bleeder valves. No problems, though; the calipers work well.
Gerry

From: "OK Don" <okd...@gmail.com>
My ML seems to be all metric, but I've not checked on some of the USA
sourced parts, like the transfer case. The Plymouth van has both metirc and
SAE fasteners - can be frustrating, having to bring an assortment of both
out to the car.

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Fmiser <fmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hendrik & Fay wrote:

> Which makes me wonder, if a Merc is assembled in the US of A
> is it made out of imperial nuts and bolts or metric?

Odd as it may seem, automobiles have been using metric since the
mid 1980's.  For a few years there it was a bit annoying though
as some fasteners were metric and some SAE (fractional inch).
So the bolts holding the alternator bracket to the block are
SAE, but the bolt through the bracket into the alternator is
metric.

Kinda like dealing with Whitworth fasteners.

--   Philip

OK Don
2001 ML320
2012 Passat TDI DSG