About ten years ago near here on I-405 one of those longbody Econoline
passenger vans with four rows was caught in a sandwich crash between two semis
and caught fire. Those in the rear were incinerated, alive.

RLE

RLE

people are regularly burned to death or worse in modern gassers made by asian and american automakers using in tank electric fuel pumps.

What does that or the prior reference to E-van have to do with passengers in an MB Diesel wagon? None I can see, other than they are people in vehicles. If you don't want the risk, stay in a cocoon. All of life is a series of calculated risks.

3rd seat in a MB wagon, especially Diesel, is safer than in any seat in a toada (and probably if you study the statistics, more people are killed in porches per passenger mile, than MB wagons)