eric peterson wrote:
what I did in a similar situation was put key in
switch and then hammer in a screwdriver next to the
key which gave me alot more leverage.  then I put vice
grips around the top of the screwdriver handle and
viola it turned.  I promptly drove it to my mechanic
and had him replace the tumbler before turning the key
to the off position.

Just FYI -- I believe once you've gotten the key to turn, you can remove the tumbler and drive the car without it by turning the ignition switch with a screwdriver. Might be handy if you can't take it to the mechanic right away.