Unlike current US savings bonds, which stop earning interest when they mature, war bonds continue earning interest until surrendered.

So did my $50 Series E (?) that was bought for me as a baby in
'60.  I finally cashed it in to tide me over until I got my very
first paycheck post-BS.  I recall it was about $125 or so,
the interest rate post-maturity was very small compared to
the maturation rate.  I couldn't think of a better way to
have spent it!  (I was pretty much broke except for that,
and decided not to tap the parental units any more.  What
else was I going to use it on, anyway?)

-- Jim