From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Curt Raymond
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 12:16 PM
To: Diesel List
Subject: [MBZ] 190D brakes

My wife reported that the brakes in the 190D "made a noise and then got
quiet" and it scared her. Apparently her definition of "quiet" and mine
aren't the same because when I tried it the right front wheel made an
ungodly racket. It'd had a hardened spot on the rotor for some time so I'd
already ordered new rotors and pads. Yesterday I installed.

Remember a couple weeks ago I asked about replacing the rotor without
pulling the hub? A year or two ago I'd done the bearings on the passenger
front and the rotor kept falling off as I tried to set the preload. Well
yesterday that &^%$@#! rotor wouldn't come off for love nor money. I had to
pull the hub and balance it on two 2x4s and beat the hub out of the rotor.
On that side the pads fell out of the caliper when I pulled it, neither had
any friction material to speak of.

On the other side one of the big bolts that holds the caliper on would NOT
come off. I resorted to the heat wrench which is hard because the small
bolts have a little rubber bellows thing on them, I didn't realize at the
time I could take rubber bellows thing off. On that side the pads were
fine... I *think* when I did the bearing I got grease on the rotor which
created the hardspot and ruined the pads. So it goes.

Rusty sent me ceramic pads, I don't remember what brand he said they were
but they were in a Textar box. Apparently Akebono doesn't have an
application for a 190D. The rotors he sent (I spec'd the cheap PBR ones
which I had used on my '83 240D with success) are very nice and thick. They
weigh about twice the ones I took off and are marked "Made in Germany" on
the rim.

My wife is VERY pleased with the new brakes and much more confident in the
car and my abilities. The latter is of course a nice feeling.

-Curt