Well, in my definition of "older cars" it does not work at all. 240Ds, 200Ds and 220Ds. Even the 300D and SDL don't have ODBII and use real keys, not some electronic gizmo.

Even on my 2000 van, because i use a key, and not the zapper, it would not work.

Viva la 80s!  (at least in the world of MBs)

I still think of the 87s as "new" cars.