On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca> wrote:
> On 16/10/2012 5:52 PM, Jerry Herrman wrote:
>>
>> I am writing to see if one of you might have faced this problem and solved
>> it inexpensively. (My apologies in advance for using this forum as my
>> personal handyman).
>>
>> We have a number of indoor and outdoor wrought iron furnture pieces that
>> came with plastic "feet". These feet are of two types - one type fits
>> (inserts) into the round indentation at the bottom of the furniture leg. The
>> other type fits over the round flat metal "pad" at the bottom of the
>> furniture leg. The latter type is similar to the rubbery "shoe" one finds on
>> the bottom of the adjustable legs of a washing machine.
>> These plastic pads have all worn out from scaping on hard surfaces like
>> tile and concrete. I was hoping to solve the problem by finding just the
>> right sized bottle caps as substitutes. That idea didn't quite work out. I
>> then contacted mail order places and they seem to have some items, but they
>> are kinda expensive. I am hoping not to have to make my own. Anyone found an
>> easy solution? I hate the sound of metal scraping on concrete and tile.

> I would suggest that if you want them to slide, get some of the slick nylon
> doodads from the local hardware or home store intended for the purpose. They
> have all sorts of sizes from small circles to bigger rectangle shaped pads.
> They have self sticky things but a bit of epoxy or maybe even PL Premium
> should work if that does not.
>
> If you don't want them to slide all that readily, then do the same sort of
> thing with some rubber pads. Should be easier to find something to make them
> out of. An old rubber mat or a mud flap or ???

For indoor we used a sheet of felt cut to "size", works great and
cheap.  You don't want iron to stick to the ground because it will
fracture so easily, for us the felt has been perfectly stable unless
it really gets whacked, at which point all the legs move without
breaking.

Outdoors, maybe tennis ball feet like the teachers do in school?

Best,
-Tim