Alan Clarke wrote:
My thanks to those that responded. It was confusing because MBZ has a list of recommended fluids. According to Amzoil, who I called, the specification is the Dextron III specification and they say that is the critical thing that the fluid meet, which is what I think you were saying. It is recommended on their website which I think gives them legal liability. Something they don't do, by the way, with the Amzoil that I have been using for the engine: Synthetic Heavy-Duty Diesel & Marine Motor Oil *SAE 15W-40 (AME)*. They do recommend a 5W-30 European Oil so apparently it meets some European spec. He was saying that was possibly meeting an emissions criteria so I'm not going to worry about it. Again, thanks all.

The 15W40 is probably good stuff for your engine. 5W40 or 15W50 Mobil One are fine too.

Don't put 5W30 anything in a W123 diesel. Probably not in any MBZ diesel, I think the CDI engines require 0W40.

Mitch.