Upstate NY usually gets freezing rain then anywhere from inches to feet of
snow on top of it.  I have driven in all seasons on and off road in both NC
and NY.  Winter driving in NY is best described to Southern folk like
this......"See that there greasy red clay hill all littered with rocks?
Make it bigger with a few less rocks and then cover it all up with a foot
or two of snow."

Mike