On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 09:56:01 -0500 Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com> wrote:

> I would also add that backfeeding a distribution panel with a
> generator, even if you have an interlocking breaker, is inherently
> dangerous.

So you are saying Reliance Controls should not have made and sold me the
manual transfer panel, with interlocking breaker, I have installed at our
house?

Here's where I bought it; the Reliance Controls product page isn't
responding at the moment.

http://www.wayfair.com/Reliance-Controls-TWB-4-8-Circuit-200Amp-Transfer-Panel-Link-for-Generator-up-to-25000-Watt-TWB2010DR-RLC1055.html

> You may also negate the operation of GFI devices as well.

GFCI devices do not need a ground to work properly, nor are they
concerned about the potential on the neutral. They are only concerned
about the balance of current between the line and neutral wires.

> In a nutshell, don't do it.  If you're so inclined, break out the
> circuits you want on the generator and isolate them with a knife switch
> or load rated disconnect.  The backfeeding approach kills people.  I
> have been an expert witness on more than one occasion to defend a
> generator manufacturer from litigation when people have done this and
> been killed.  It's not pretty.

With a transfer panel, you are not backfeeding anything. In addition, our
electrical service is grounded at three points:

    - the inside sub-panel installation that connects to the
      copper water pipes in the old part of the house,
    - the 50' long, separate, seamless tubing that supplies
      water to the new part of our house, and,
    - a ground rod at the outside transfer switch panel, which,
      under UL certification, is suitable for service entrance
      and may be used as a main panel or feed-through to a
      sub-panel.

Craig