Onan/Cummins us their own design (over center linear actuator) transfer switch
rather than a brand labeled product such as ASCO, as Kohler does. For that
matter, Kohler only uses ASCO's contactor and designs and builds its own
controls.

While the Generac product is perceived to be inferior to these, it is
well engineered and meets a price point that neither can touch. Having
worked for the largest (volume) Generac dealer in the country, I can
say that despite the perception that Generac is a "cheap" product,
they have designed it for a price point and market where it makes
sense.

The consumer doesn't need an industrial product, hence the success in
a market that none of the other generator manufacturers have ever made
significant inroads into.

For that matter, I would gladly use a Generac product if I required a
home standby unit (disclaimer - I own a 6.5kW Generac portable, and
had a whole house 25kW Generac system in my previous home.)

Generac will continue to dominate the consumer market, simply because
they have product at a price point that accomplishes the task. When it
comes down to it, the end user doesn't care what is out on that pad
next to the house as long as it comes on when needed and powers the
loads required.

Dan