I can see that spending money on the poor is a problematic plan, insofar that it will not generate a lot of new jobs. However the idea that spending money on the rich will fix everything is also flawed insofar that they tend to ship jobs overseas to maximise profits.

The core problem is that reasonably well paying, low skilled manufacturing jobs are not there to employ the poor, so they have to be supported with hand outs etc. Obviously we are all to blame, we wanna buy the cheap stuff. For instance the local car makers here are struggling to compete against imports, you can buy a new VW golf for round about 20k or a Suzuki for 12k if you really wanna cheap out. Opel (German version of GM) has just entered the Oz market http://www.opel-australia.com.au/vehicles/opel-range.html and Holden are less than happy about this, as they used to sell rebadged Opels.

Basically we can blame rampant capitalism for all our problems. Shareholders want big fat dividends and don't care how they are achieved. For example what do you think would happen if the Apple board announced that they intend to move production of their iWhatever back to the States, with a resulting drop in profits due to higher manufacturing costs? More than likely they would get the sack for fiscal irresponsibility. They can bleat on long as they like about made in America and jobs for Americans but will it wash with the shareholders?

Anyway enough ranting from me.

Hendrik
who is sending this from his cheap Asian manufactured computer