<<What sort of mileage will a 2.3 get?  Thinking about getting one for a
> work car and would like to get a 190D but they are scarce and when you
> do find one they go for insane money.  The 2.3's should be cheap and had
> the added advantage of using it when diesel prices are high.>>

My '85 190Es putzing   around town mileage was about 21mpg. Best hiway
mileage was in the 28s. Premium.

Keep in mind that there were a lot of changes in '85 vs '84. Aside from the
obvious 14" wheels, the articulated wiper was an '85 item and as I recall there
were some engine design changes also. BTW, there were early '85s, up to about
January production so I was told, that were really 84s. I looked at one on a
used car lot before I bought the new '85 later. I would expect all of the
design faults in the 201s would have been repaired under warranty because the
fixes on my car (LOTS of them) did not recur so at this point buying one would
be
no more of a risk than any old MB.

RLE