in there is green, which I understand is not the optimum. Where do I get
the weird colored stuff (red or orange?) which should be used in Der
Benz? I am guessing it is not to be found in the average Auto Zone.

Dealer (or equivalent) item, or Zerex G-05 from NAPA/McParts, if you
can find it.

I still recommend you install the real block heater.  Are you _sure_
this car doesn't already have the heater installed?  That's the hardest
part.  If it's there but merely burnt out, it's fairly easy to replace.
If there's a big nut sticking out the side of the block in front(-ish)
of the starter, you already have it.  If it's a 3/4" allen socket, you
don't.

-- Jim