Or you can do it the way the pros do it and just slap a label on it. Bumpers, hoods, doors, fenders, wheels etc are all shipped bare by me. That is the best way to do it. You will have to use fedex though as I dont think UPS will do it. I have tried bubble wrap, boxing them etc and they get damaged more often than not that way. That is because the fedex dudes just throw them around. If they are bare they take more car handling them because they know what they are handling. Its also WAY more expensive with all the extra package material.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Howdy!
We (the collective we) sometimes have large stuff that could be sold on eBay because the size makes things difficult. A "Local Pickup only" option on the auction is always a possibility but the number of buyers might be so limited to make the auction a losing proposition.

I thought I'd share a solution some of you probably are aware of - (and some not) that worked well for me.

I bought a new front bumper for my 911 but after trial fitting it decided I didn't want to install it. Since it had been a year since I bought it I couldn't return it - I kept it around for a few months before deciding to try a "Local Sell" on eBay. After listing it I got several emails asking to open it to a wider area. At first I said, "nope - don't want to deal with the hassle of packing and shipping it". One writer was persistant yet remained calm & non-combative.

I decided to give it a try with the caution that since I'm disabled it may take me a month or more to get it packed for shipping. I probably got more for it like this so maybe it was worth it. I also made sure the buyer would pay for *all* shipping materials as I didn't want to skimp and risk shipping damage. The successful buyer said paying for all material was no problem.

I found a package of 3 wardrobe boxes for sale on ebay for $40 (as a "Buy it Now" listing) with free shipping - then I bought $20 worth of bubble wrap at OfficeMax (12"x175') and then all left was shipping.

For anyone who doesn't know what a "Wardrobe box" is -- they're used by moving companies to put the clothes from closets in - there's a metal hanger rod in the box so the clothes can be taken from a closet and hung in the box.

I wrapped the bumper with lots of bubble wrap and put the bumper in one box then slid the other wardrobe box over the first and taped them together making a excellent, professional looking package.

We decided Greyhound Express freight was the way to go based on the buyers previous experience with them. The bus wanted $45 to ship a package 24"x24"x65" weighing about 20#'s from Va. to Wash. state! Over 3000 miles and it'd be there in 3 days 7 hours. Pretty good I thought!

The total shipping and packing costs was $105 for a large cumbersome package. I wouldn't have been able to sell this bumper for a decent price otherwise.

Anyway - I thought someone out there might benefit from my experience. It won't work for engines and tranmissions because of the weight but for something large and unyieldy, but not too heavy, it might work for you!

Hope this is helpful --

Merry Christmas!!

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 78 240D -286k miles)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net
For Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil
Weber Carb Stuff http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs
http://members.rennlist.com/my_911/Index.htm For my Paint Job Info