I hate it when people complain that their 300D fuel economy is "only"
in the mid 20s mpg.

My daily driver 1983 300TD with a 1985 transmission gets exactly 20
mpg for mixed, mostly in-town driving.  This dips to under 19 mpg in
the winter.  :((  There are no fuel leaks whatsoever.  The car starts
and runs with great power.  Tires are 205 X 70 X 14s, average tread
and inflation pressure.

I might even consider loaning out the car to someone with the ability
to diagnose the problem and do whatever it takes to improve fuel
economy by at least 20 percent.  Any takers?