Alex wrote and provided the following link:

"Not a Benz, but...

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/3452336232.html

Was the rear-facing third row a common feature back in the heyday of full-size
American station wagons?  I was a kid in the '70s but my parents had a VW
microbus, so this is interesting news to me if so."

I know a lot of them had the rear facing seat.  I don't know what it is, but I
like these big old wagons.  I really like the Woody Wagons (the Ford Country
Squire of the 70's and 80's), the Olds Custom Cruiser (the Big one, not that
stupid Cierra wagon version), the Big Buick Roadmaster Wagon (of the 80's and
90's), etc.

Donald H. Snook