Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:
Is your shifter sloppy? If so, your problem is the shifter bushings are worn and/or missing causing it to not be in the right position for the lockout switch. Next time it does it, hold the key in the start position as you move the lever out of park, thru the gears and see if it kicks in.

That's what is happening with our 300TD wagon. I took the easy road and bypassed the neutral safety switch circuit completely by grounding 1 pin on the appropriate relay under the hood with a 2-inch length of wire.

--
John L. Ervine
1981 240D 4-spd 268+kmi