Message: 17
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:48:11 -0600
From: "Kaleb C. Striplin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Unstable Starting

Is your shifter sloppy?  If so, your problem is the shifter bushings are
worn and/or missing causing it to not be in the right position for the
lockout switch.  Next time it does it, hold the key in the start
position as you move the lever out of park, thru the gears and see if it
kicks in.

Kaleb's Email above brought this question to mind.

I have been through the Skinnerbox site and since the transmission is not covered I don't know where to look for the job number for the replacement of the shifter bushing on my 85 300D, 148K miles. I replaced the front motor mounts and the flat tranny mount early this year. Now I have a vibration induced (?) humming noise on acceleration that goes away if I move the shift lever away from the detent. Of course there is the possibility that it could be something else like the center drive shaft bearing causing the vibration.

Any thoughts or does anyone know the job number of the shifter lever bushing replacement on this car?

Thanks.

Tom Harruff
Naples, FL
1985 300Dt (Diesel Dolly)