2% was the generally accepted soot limit back in the CG-4 days.

Semis and other trucks/engine combinations are engineered differently than
cars.

The new pick up truck diesels take about 2-1/2 gallons.  The older ones
were closer to 3 gallons.  My Cummins B5.9's were designed to run 300,000
miles and everything that could be made out of metal was.  No plastic
clips.  Timing gears.  A starter was was probably 30 HP for an engine that
weighed about 900 pounds with the flywheel.

Semi OTR engines take somewhere around 10 gallons of oil and may get
100,000 miles a year.  They may have dual batteries for 24V starters.  It
takes quite a bit to spin over a 12-18L diesel engine.  The exact size of
the engine and load depends on what the truck is hauling and where.  The
needs for driving in NYC, across I-80, or the Eastern Kentucky coal mines
can vary.