On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 03:14:48PM -0800, eric peterson wrote:
> Isn't the 350DSL the one that is noted as a rod
> bender??  If the head has been reworked or a new head
> put on will this solve the problems associated with
> this engine??  I have found one that has 167K and has
> had the "top end rebuilt" don't have specifics yet as
> to what was done.  Also what would be a resonable
> price?  Car is in well kept condition.  No real
> problems noted.  Anything else I should really look at
> as far as problem areas?

The head on the 350SDL is usually fine, it's the shortblock that is
the problem. People have differing opinions as to what constitutes
top ends (some call the pistons top end, some consider it part of the
rotating mass/shortblock, and call it bottom end) BUT it has been
said many times that only a replacement engine bought from mercedes
will solve the rodbending tendencies.