Jaime wrote:  "I've found that if stored correctly, they can come back to life
very nicely.  Whats important is that things didn't start to rust, seize, or get
stuck.  I also don't bother with cars with higher mileage.  A car needs to be
pretty special for one reason or another to warrant this kind of attention."

When I was at the dealership, we had a customer bring his mother's 1977
Cadillac Seville.  It had the 350 engine and the car had 13,000 miles.  She had
parked it for nearly 20 years.  GM makes this stuff called GM Top Engine
Cleaner.  I thought maybe it was worthless like many fuel system supplements.
But, we pulled the plugs out and poured that stuff into the cylinders and let
it soak for 3 days.  We changed the oil twice and refilling it each time.  We
manually turned it over to get it blow a lot of that crap out of the cylinders.
 Finally, when we did start it, it worked.  I don't know what was in it, but it
cleaned all the varnish and carbon out of the engine and it ran very well.  We
changed the plugs after 1000 miles and changed the oil again and that car ran
great! Or at least as well as a 1977 Cadillac could run.

Just last month, my indy decided to get his Ferrari (it's an early 80's model)
running again.  He tried to start it and had no luck.  The fuel pumps were
shot.  He tried to find Ferrari replacement pumps and they were $5000 EACH.
So, he ended up taking the old ones out and rebuilding them himself.  I told
him you have to start and drive these cars (he probably has 20 beautiful and
exotic cars in his shop that haven't been driven in 20 years).  I offered to
come down every Saturday and drive them all, but he declined.  :)

Donald H. Snook